Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chris Collinsworth, who you crappin'

So maybe I have to explain the title of today's post, one that's kind of had me thinking for the past few days.  Chris Collinsworth is a football commentator, specifically for NBC on Sunday night football, a really good commentator at that.  When I watch football, a sport I enjoy to watch on a weekly basis, even if my beloved Bears aren't playing, Collinsworth's viewpoint and analysis of the game ranks up there with the best of them.

This past Sunday night I caught a bit of the Sunday night game, Pittsburg Steelers vs. New Orleans Saints.  A game that I thought would be a good one.  I had a little added interest in the game since my fantasy Defense is Pittsburg (they didn't have great results this week...), so I flipped the channel between NBC and and one of the CSI or SUV shows...

On one of the flips to the game, I catch Chris Collinsworth say that football is the hardest sport.  It caught my attention so I listened more.  He talked about how hard players work how they are the toughest in sports....Chris Collinsworth, who you crappin'!!!  Have you ever played any other sport at an elite/pro level?!  NO.

Now, I will now admit, I have NEVER played the sport of football that didn't include flags, a backyard, parking lot, open field, or some nice turkey day tackle football.  Don't get me wrong I think football players are amazing athletes but to say that the sport of Football is the hardest?!??  I understand that week in and week out football players can take a beating and it does take toughness to endure the sport, but I propose some other sports being not only harder, but mentally and physically more challenging!

Not in any specific order...

Rugby
Another sport I have never competitively played, other than just for fun in college a few times, but I have watched my fair share of games.  The hits can be just as hard sometimes as football and you don't have pads to protect.  I don't think I've seen a game where a guy isn't bloodied up and still is out there playing.  Rugby gets my nod for a more physically challenging game, plus most of those guys just seem altogether tougher.

Triathlon (ironman distance specifically)
This might be the hardest sport there is.  To put your body through 140.6 miles of pain (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) is just mind numbing.  I have yet to do an ironman, but have done my fair share of olympic distance (1500 swim, 40k bike, 10k run) and know what kind of beating my body took from them.  I will challenge myself one day to do an ironman, but not till the speed is out of my legs and competitive juices have diminished quite a bit.

Distance Running
Ahhh, you caught onto why the comment irked me.  Running, thought many people may not consider a "big" sport, is the biggest sport in the world.  Ask yourself how many people run the Chicago, London, New York Marathons each year.  How many road races there are on a weekly (daily) basis...the sport is huge.  Now to compare Professional runners to professional football players, the sports are very different in terms of what the work loads look like.  A runner, outside of cross training, runs.  That's all they do!  that's all I do!  Day in and Day out you are out there running, in the elements (mentally tough), pushing your body to get faster and stronger, pushing your body to the limits.  The sheer amount of pounding after pounding on the body, every kind of service you can imagine, the body and mind take a beating...just sit back and imagine what it takes to break the 4 minute mile...that's what I'm trying to do!


Now I know I have a bias here, but sometimes I just wish my sport would get more recognition.  I dream that track and field was the top dog in the sports world.  The level I am at would make me a bench player on most baseball, football, and basketball teams in comparison...I'd be making millions.  Now it's not about the money, it's about the greater glory and success.  The pushing my body to levels I never thought it could go...so as I chase my dream of breaking the 4 minute mile and making the 2011 USA outdoor championships and 2012 USA olympic Trials I bid you farewell until tomorrow and leave you with this quote:

"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast.  And when I run, I feel His pleasure"




Peace out Friends


PS...feel free to add your own comments and add other sports that may be harder than American Football.  Chris Collinsworth, if you ever read this, I respect your analysis and opinion, but who you crappin' : )  Good day sir!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Glad to see you started a blog. I look forward to following. Regarding hardest sport, I will have to think about it more. Hitting a round ball coming at you very fast with a round bat ranks up there for me. Of course this isn't hard on your lungs or legs, versus some of the other sports you listed.

Anonymous said...

i think that swimming is a tough sport, but maybe that is because i can only doggie paddle :-).
HA
as for rugby, i played for a couple weeks in college and couldn't keep up because of the drinking required :).